Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commonwealth Championships
Andy Howie Wrote:Looks like the ones hosted on the cloud have gone down post finish Sad Unfortunately little I can do about it until I am in front of the 4 computers tomorrow.

As if by Magic, they are back. Nothing to do with me! Either Dave has realised and done something or there has been a glitch somethere in the cloud. Games are back up now :ymhug:
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Further update, it is an issue with the Cloud. Dave is fixing it as we speak!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy M,

As a director of CS, and a Scottish titled player, you should be doing everything to support the Commonwealth games coming to Scotland. To trash it with not the 'real' commonwealth games and withdrawing cause 'your tea gets cold' is just totally crazy, demeaning and belittling of what looks like a fantastic event (massive thanks to Alex, Andy H and of course our very generous benefactor).

Personally, I've given 100% for chess in Scotland - its something I'm very passionate about. Things like this (and other incidents we should probably not return to for the sake of blood pressure levels!) which can tarnish the image of chess in Scotland really frustrate me and sometimes even makes me wonder why I bother putting effort in.

In your position I'm perplexed how you could have made such comments. I suggest you reconsider the comments, or if not, reconsider your position.
Round 4 reports now available (also on the CS homepage)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.streetfightingchess.com/commonwealth-scottish-championships-round-1/">http://www.streetfightingchess.com/comm ... s-round-1/</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://whodbe.blogspot.co.uk/">http://whodbe.blogspot.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->
Andy Howie Wrote:
Andy Howie Wrote:Looks like the ones hosted on the cloud have gone down post finish Sad Unfortunately little I can do about it until I am in front of the 4 computers tomorrow.

As if by Magic, they are back. Nothing to do with me! Either Dave has realised and done something or there has been a glitch somethere in the cloud. Games are back up now :ymhug:
Cheers folks ;-)
amuir Wrote:After today's debacle, I have been told by my wife to withdraw as I need to babysit at the weekend while she practices as a volunteer for the real commonwealth games. I can play round 5 but will stop after that. She actually phoned me before the game too about the same thing.

This is what Andy Muir actually wrote.

He was simply quoting his wife and explaining his impending withdrawal from the competition.

Is that quotation really such a problem?

He also said that women are unpredictable.
So what's your problem with that comment.
Also unpredictable are men, goldfish, Rybka and the result of the vote on September 14th.
I see my critics are back. I shall try and play well in round 5 today and then give Claire a lift to Bellahouston on Saturday and Sunday for her Commonwealth preparation + babysitting. I only managed 7 rounds last year. My dad agrees too that I should put the family first. Claire only got a late email that she was wanted for the Commonwealth. Maybe I will be free for a full 9 rounds in the future. Something in the Scottish gets to me. I have only played well in about 3 of the 20 times I have played.
Phil Thomas Wrote:This is what Andy Muir actually wrote.

He was simply quoting his wife and explaining his impending withdrawal from the competition.

Is that quotation really such a problem?

He also said that women are unpredictable.
So what's your problem with that comment.
Also unpredictable are men, goldfish, Rybka and the result of the vote on September 14th.

What's happening on Sept 14th??
amuir Wrote:I see my critics are back. I shall try and play well in round 5 today and then give Claire a lift to Bellahouston on Saturday and Sunday for her Commonwealth preparation + babysitting. I only managed 7 rounds last year. My dad agrees too that I should put the family first. Claire only got a late email that she was wanted for the Commonwealth. Maybe I will be free for a full 9 rounds in the future. Something in the Scottish gets to me. I have only played well in about 3 of the 20 times I have played.

Andy, Your critics are back because you've invited them back!

If you'd simply said that something unavoidable had come up then fine, but you start by mentioning your loss in round 4 - and mention how badly you play in the Scottish on other occasions - people are obviously going to think that this is the main reason for your withdrawal.
Would you still be withdrawing if you were on 4/4?

I'm sure, as always, you'll do whatever you want to do whether it's good for Scottish Chess or not, but I suggest you pay the Scottish/Commonwealth entry fee (perhaps as a donation to the Glorney Cup?) as a gesture of goodwill.
Andy, I am unemployed so will not make any donations. As goodwill I offer to do coaching.