Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commonwealth Championships
D-Oswald Wrote:Rumour has it Jonathan Grant will win the tie-break...

...in the tournament rules apparently "anyone with middle initials I.M. wins tie break" 8-|
Who won the player of the year award?
Congratulations Alan - topsy turvy but exciting to watch last 4 rounds unfold - bad luck Colin as I think he had outside chance of sneaking ahead if the Indians - think green sreeves etc will be back now they know it's not a pipe dream - roll on 2015

We'll done organisers you know who you are !
D-Oswald Wrote:Seeing Tate win must been a sinking feeling for Green as he battles to the death trying to win that ending...
with number of wins (apparently) being first tie break he would have been in the mix with Tate (assuming he only drew) and Grant... (Sreeves and McNab only have 4 wins)

Not true I'm afraid

For the Commonwealth, it was the prescribed FIDE tiebreaks (game v player, number of wins, number of blacks etc etc)

For the Scottish it was the agreed W-we

I did the calculation when Alan was playing and Jonathan would have won had Alan drawn. From memory Clement would have been second.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I don't mean to nitpick but

"Ties In the event of ties main prize monies will be shared equally. For titles and trophies
the method of tie-break will be the FIDE performance of the players involved based on calculation by Swiss Master. For rating prizes tie break will be used when more than 2 tie."

Thanks for the congrats everybody.
Congrats to Alan.
Colin was unlucky as he played the hardest opposition.
The tiebreak should be 1 results between the players 2 TPR
If not, it should be changed to this.
W-we is a total nonsense. It means the lowest graded player usually wins.
Dougie's going to recalculate the grades for Olympiad board order selections.
The Scottish candidates did not play each other.
Not an easy choice. There is a case for Alan being board 1 and board 5 !
Alan Tate Wrote:I don't mean to nitpick but

"Ties In the event of ties main prize monies will be shared equally. For titles and trophies
the method of tie-break will be the FIDE performance of the players involved based on calculation by Swiss Master. For rating prizes tie break will be used when more than 2 tie."

Thanks for the congrats everybody.

No nit picking at all, I was just over tired. We had a lot of tie breaks to do yesterday but you are correct!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Jonathan Livingstone Wrote:Who won the player of the year award?

Roddy McKay Smile
Round 9: Part 1 is up and ready to be read!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.streetfightingchess.com/commonwealth-scottish-championships-round-1/">http://www.streetfightingchess.com/comm ... s-round-1/</a><!-- m -->
Aha, I wondered why IM Grant was so bitter afterwards. In reality however he never had a chance - Colin was winning every tiebreak.