Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback Requested
I have to say that I am troubled by the obsession with the naming convention. We had this argument on the Board Mark II ( a proposal that was badly thought out in my view, and never fully implemented). It now appears to be the intention to impose it unilaterally now, without discussion.

Andy Howie Wrote:It is purely because we are going to map it onto the grading database so you only have a single login

Andy

Really? Is that the only reason? Surely it must be possible to accommodate a single login with a name for posting and a name for other things. To pick a name at random "Andy Howie" does not appear in the grading list, yet he appears to have a user name that satsifies the moderating team.

Aside from pseudonymity, the "forename surname" convention also seems unnecessarily restrictive. What happens if Cher wants to register? Or Lulu?? Or Chaski??? Or Ian Duncan Smith, Andrew Lloyd Webber or Yusuf Ali Khan?

The glee which a list of offenders who have had the temerity to defy the convention has been posted to name and shame is also a little discomfiting. Even if you are to insist on some sort of "real names" (and this mindset chased away some of the more entertaining posters previously - where are Casacablanca, Mauberley, Seal Pup, General Sir Paul F. T. Fritz now?) what's wrong with a modicum of indiviudality - the use of lower case for robin moore, the absence of a space for AndrewGreen and both for adamraoof? And let Ken have his underscore.

To be honest, this smacks to me of the exercise of power, the imposition of conformity and the stifling of dissent.

AWIC (this was the user name I was given by DLG way back and I have never seen the need to change it)

Messages In This Thread