Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liverpool Quadrangular
[quote="David G Congalton"
[quote="Jacqui Thomas"]My concern on both the Glorney & Liverpool events this year is the fact that the players did not all pay the same amount to attend & this is maybe something that David can look at for the future as there should not be any variances/different prices as that makes it discriminatory.[/quote]
[quote="David G Congalton"
Given the accommodation used I'm not sure how else I could have done this without penalising those travelling with more than one adult or one child who would effectively be paying part of somebody elses room.
I stand by the costs for Liverpool and believe that I used the fairest method for all, so have to disagree with there not being any price differences, on this or any other similar occassion.
[/quote]

David I am not dwelling on the past that cannot be changed but trying to encourage for the future. I agree you would have been limited on what you could do. I am also trying to bring more awareness for organisers to think more broadly when making plans as it needs to be done fairly, so I repeat all the players should pay the same. Junior Chess should not be limited for participation by being too expensive - it needs to be inclusive. This subject has been raised before.

The biggest difference with the Junior scene is that up until season 2008/2009 very few parents travelled with the squad, anywhere. It was the squad with chaperones & coaches only in the main.
Parents were encouraged to accompany their child from 2008 if they were keen to attend, it has up until this year, always been as an extra. Therefore any accommodation, meals, travel & therefore costs were organised for the players first & foremost & equal. As example in 2010 Liverpool, at Nightingale Lodge, lodge charged £15 a head B & B for everyone, coach was £1200, self catering for whole weekend £15 a head. 26 players, 4 CS officials = 30 = £85 a head but £10 subsidy given = £75. However, parents & siblings (who as they were travelling anyway then became reserves) also wished to come so they were charged £55 (£30B & B, £10coach, £15food) a head which in turn repaid some of the subsidy. In that year no additional coaches were taken & the team managers did the coaching apart from U16's who did their own prep & they won the tournament.

I would not try & kid anyone that the Nightingale is of a particularly high standard but the facilities it gave & the accommodation it gave provided a great atmosphere & team spirit. Unfortunately it closed down in 2011 so it couldn't be used.

It might be that the Premier is better for everyone but I still think when organising a squad event like that where costs are important from the offset that all concerned know exactly how much it is going to cost up front before they commit. By working it out for the squad & officials in the first instance (as they are definite) & give a price based on the squad members sharing 3 to a room or similar, the parents can then make a decision themselves after, whether to book a room for themselves. This matter is better discussed rather than written so i will stop now as I am sure I will get responses who have totally misunderstood.

Messages In This Thread