Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Girls Championships - Location
Hi Andrew,

You've certainly moderated on enough "nonsense" written on this noticeboard over the past couple of years to recognise it when you see it! This is not about blaming folk, however it is about taking responsibility and CS had a clear opportunity to avoid this duplication. Can I also make a small point that adding smiley faces to derogatory remarks about noticeboard contributors comments doesn't really help to sugar coat the remarks, or make them any more palatable! If you don't agree with a comment then that's fine, however I do suggest reading my previous post again - I'll try to improve my grammar in future! I was, for the record, echoing a point which Mike Scott had made earlier in the thread, that it serves no-one particularly well the fact that we have 2 championships the same. Ok, so my criticism of chess scotland went further than Mike's, however the fact remains that the current deliverers of the Championships (SJC), had dates and plans well in advance of this other event appearing. Would it not have been better to let it go for this year, rather than drag the majority of probable entrants half way across the country just so a point could be made and an "official" event created? Also, the rationale that having 2 of everything has to be a good thing is a proper "nonsense". No-one is seriously suggesting that 2 Richardsons, MacIssacs or Commonwealths in the same year would be a good thing, so why would this? Is it because it's only kids, so it doesn't really matter? That's kind of what I'm hearing! I reiterate my point that the lack of coordination and strategy on this matter has been deplorable and debilitating for girls chess in particular. If folk don't want to see this and choose instead to get defensive of their pals then that's up to them. Perhaps some form of explanation as to why we needed to have the 2 events would be a start and would be helpful to my understanding of where we stand? Apart from some of the decisions being made, communications from CS directors to the wider chess community seems to me to be the biggest single failing of the Chess Scotland organisation. Finally, for the sake of clarity, let it be known that my hat is well and truly off to all the regional organisers of junior chess and all the players in the less densely populated areas of scotland - I'm guessing it's not easy!
Your very first point was with reference to the location of the event Harry. If it being a "duplicate" event is such a problem, then why wasn't that brought up in your first post?

The reason I suggested your last sentence to be nonsense, is because in my opinion it's an over-reaction:
"Knock some head together if necessary as this whole thing is debilitating the effect that chess in scotland is supposed to be having on our kids."
It's really not as bad as this makes out.
Harry,

I’ve read your posts a couple of times now prior to replying as I wanted to be sure I picked up the tone correctly. As the Director concerned perhaps you could consider directing your concerns to me by name, I don’t hide behind my title as Home Junior Director or Chess Scotland.

I agree with you and Mike in that two events is far from ideal. I don’t think this is in dispute.

However, as I stated previously upon my election I contacted SJC in the hope that both CS and SJC could continue to run the events together. Unfortunately this was not possible and I was left with the choice of either not running a Chess Scotland event with the trophies going uncontested or running a CS event. The risks of not running a CS event at all were that it would set a dangerous precedent and the events may not be run again as we have seen with many tournaments: a one year hiatus can turn into an eternity. I didn’t want to risk this and in consultation with other CS Directors I decided to run the CS events this year. I believe this was the correct decision and with hindsight I would make the same decision again.

In terms of the word official, I’m not so sure why the word official seems to have irked so many people, Chess Scotland is the national body and should award the national championships. Again, I think everyone is in agreement on this point.

In terms of my communication as a Director, I post on this forum and try to answer any concerns raised by members in a timely fashion. I am contactable by email and phone and will make time for anyone provided they are wishing to make a positive impact on junior chess in Scotland.

Finally, perhaps plans were not made quickly enough this year but I would counter that by saying It is my first year stepping forward to do something like this with no handover and frankly it has proven to be a steep learning curve. As soon as this seasons tournaments are held the planning starts for next year so the events are on the calendar at the start of the season.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
OK guys, thanks for the replies. I don't intend to get into one of the ridiculous spats regularly pursued on this noticeboard, so this is my final comment on this thread.

David, Your reply at least puts a little context into where we are on this, so thank you for that. Andrew claims that you have a strategic plan. I'm afraid that I haven't seen it to be able to either agree or disagree with it. Can you post it please? On the specifics of the Girls, I suppose I still don't get why we couldn't have had SJC running the event for CS, especially given that you were, as you say, just new in the door. I'm sure you had your reasons but are we all supposed to have to guess as to what they were?

Andrew, I've re-read my initial posting. I don't get how you thought my first post related to anything other than the general coordination of this year's Girls Championships and the overall lack of strategic development for junior chess in scotland. I don't think I mentioned venue or the number of events specifically although the initial thread (set up by Peter Smith) was about the location.....If you think I over exaggerated in the final part of my post then why not just say that rather than state that it's "nonsense"? CS officials and their bodyguards will need to be a little less defensive and more responsive to criticism to allow the chess community in scotland to move forward. None of what anyone is doing is easy and I think most folk will be aware of that, however if there is a query or a claim that something has been completed in a shabby fashion I think it would pay you guys to take more heed. Thanks
Harry, I don’t wish to labour this point as I have mentioned it once or twice. Six days after I was elected I contacted SJC to ask if the existing arrangement whereby SJC & CS events were one and the same could be continued. SJC said no. That was their decision to make as an organisation and left with little choice I opted to run a CS event.

In terms of strategy as (I could talk all day on Junior Chess) as a taster I would point you in the direction of my manifesto from back in August. http://www.chessscotland.com/forum/viewt...?f=4&t=745

I don’t have any bodyguards, unfortunately with the loss of the grant they were the first to go. ;P I have taken your points on board and If you wish to discuss any of them further rather than post on the board you can email me or give me a call.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
harrymarron Wrote:Andrew, I've re-read my initial posting. I don't get how you thought my first post related to anything other than the general coordination of this year's Girls Championships and the overall lack of strategic development for junior chess in scotland.

Apologies, I mixed you and PeterReidSmith up. :\
With regards to the location of the CS Girls event – I am the parent of two junior chess players and I have travelled many, many miles for chess and spent a fortune on travel and accommodation for myself and my children. I have no issue with the event being held in the Montrose area (it’s not actually in Montrose itself is it?) or in any other part of Scotland. As long as the event moves around geographically that would appear to be fairer on everyone with regards to travelling distances.
I have to admit that I originally thought the Airdrie tournament was this year's CS Girl's Championship and it was this thread that brought to my attention that it was in fact being run by the SJC and the CS event would be held outside Montrose. I then presumed that this double event was a result of what appears to be the incessant feuding that has plagued the adults involved in junior chess, however, from this thread I'm pleased that does not seem to be the case here and there at least appears to be dialogue amongst the various paties and a modicum of respect between them of each others outlooks on junior chess.

I'll take my daughter along to Saturdays event as she enjoys the chance to mix with other female chess players and it also avoids the chance of her playing against her brother with resulting friction in the car home!
Providing the weather is not too bad I'll try and make it to Montrose and so allow her the opportunity to meet fellow female chess players from the North East. It is a shame that both these events are taking place so close together and during the winter when traveling conditions can be unpredicatable.
ronniewallace Wrote:I have to admit that I originally thought the Airdrie tournament was this year's CS Girl's Championship and it was this thread that brought to my attention that it was in fact being run by the SJC and the CS event would be held outside Montrose. I then presumed that this double event was a result of what appears to be the incessant feuding that has plagued the adults involved in junior chess, however, from this thread I'm pleased that does not seem to be the case here and there at least appears to be dialogue amongst the various paties and a modicum of respect between them of each others outlooks on junior chess.

I'll take my daughter along to Saturdays event as she enjoys the chance to mix with other female chess players and it also avoids the chance of her playing against her brother with resulting friction in the car home!
Providing the weather is not too bad I'll try and make it to Montrose and so allow her the opportunity to meet fellow female chess players from the North East. It is a shame that both these events are taking place so close together and during the winter when traveling conditions can be unpredicatable.

Ronnie,
I hope your daughter enjoys both events.
I hope the weather does not affect your journeys in February.

Everone else,
What would you prefer

EITHER two imperfect girls events - one with the wrong wording on the entry form and the other not at a perfect location.
OR zero girls events?

Please think carefully before replying -
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nejca.co.uk/Scottish%20Girls%20Championship.htm">http://www.nejca.co.uk/Scottish%20Girls ... onship.htm</a><!-- m -->

Just had another look at this event and the organisers are providing free tea and coffee/pastries, a buffet lunch for everyone including parents and helpers plus free transport from Montrose and Stonehaven all included in the entry fee of a fiver!

That is incredible value for money in what looks a fantastic setting.