Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Girls Championships - Location
For the record, I should point out I emailed Derek and Andy Howie on the 30th August (about 6 days after the CS AGM) stating that I was keen to work with SJC and it was my hope that CS and SJC could continue to collaborate on the running of the Primary Individual, Scottish Girls Championships & Primary Team Championships.

The response was that there would be no collaboration between CS and SJC for the next 12 months and that SJC would be running CFK events, SJC Girls Championships & Primary Team Championships. I was wished good luck in my role and directed to contact Derek Howie, Phil Thomas and Peter Woods for any on-going communication which I have done.

All further communications (as above) have been amicable and there have been no issues that I can recall.

Most recently, I have invited an SJC representative onto the Home Junior Board and I am hopeful SJC will play a constructive role in the HJB.

On to the topic at Council, I raised a discussion point at Council to highlight the confusion that had been caused to parents and players with having two events and entry forms seemingly calling the events the same thing. I raised this at Council as it was the appropriate forum to gain the mood of Council before contacting SJC. I was fearful of causing an issue between both organisations and thus wished to gauge the mood of Council. Derek was at the meeting as a member of Council and committed to bringing up the concerns ie- entry form and email invitations referring to the ‘Scottish Girls Championships’ and the concern that we end up with two Scottish Girls Champions. There was nothing more sinister in it than that and any member of CS could have attended Council as an observer and would have gathered this information.

I hope the event in six days goes well and there was no attempt made to undermine the event. I will be very interested to hear the feedback of the pamper party as I think its an innovative way to get girls into chess and to broaden the appeal if you like.

In the interests of not causing anymore confusion perhaps its worth considering two topics for the two separate events?
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Mike Scott Wrote:Derek/Phil
More tournaments = better? Sometime but not always. If we agree its good to have individuals and teams recognized as national champions we would surely want there only to be 1 of each. Also, given limited resources players/teams may only be able to make it to one or other of the events with the direct consequence that each event and the titles won at each are poorer as a result.

Mike, I'd personally agree that there should just one "national champion" but just because there is some initial confusion should not prevent other events from taking place. The issue was only raised on Saturday and I'm sure that discussions can take place to help reduce any confusion going forward.

As for the limited resources argument, it's obviously something that can be assessed going forward. It's been a few years since CS and SJC ran separate events and we don't know what effect it will have but hopefully both sets of touraments will be booming.

I believe that SJC have a positive and friendly relationship with David Deary as Home Junior Director and we have liaised with him and will continue to do so.
Just for the record the trophies at this weekends event have SJC Girls 2014 on them.

The pamper party is optional as takes place after prize giving. It was some of the girls that requested for a more 'social' type event to be organised alongside the chess.

I have something to say about primary team but as David suggests will start a new thread
Perhaps the winner/s of each event could face-off against each other in a final event to determine a single Scottish Girls Champion? =) And if it's the same person, then maybe some other type of event could replace that? Scottish Girl Champion does a simul against juniors rated <1000 (or something)?
Andrew

But why? The point is that there should be one single official championship that leads to a single champion . Such an event should be under the control of the governing body that all interested parties should be affiliated to and have a say in how and where such events are run. Hopefully with a properly constituted HJB with as many organizers actively involved, such events can truely become the sort of flagship events they should be.

I have a feeling that having multiple championships & champions will not help the marketing of chess to potential backers. I mean if you were going to sponsor the 'Scottish Girls Championship' would you really want to find out there was another such championship?
Mike Scott Wrote:Andrew

But why? The point is that there should be one single official championship that leads to a single champion . Such an event should be under the control of the governing body that all interested parties should be affiliated to and have a say in how and where such events are run. Hopefully with a properly constituted HJB with as many organizers actively involved, such events can truely become the sort of flagship events they should be.

I have a feeling that having multiple championships & champions will not help the marketing of chess to potential backers. I mean if you were going to sponsor the 'Scottish Girls Championship' would you really want to find out there was another such championship?

On the sponsorship line SJC make sure that we don't take potential sponsors away from CS. We are not sponsored, our only income comes from entry fees, we and are not seeking sponsorship - how lazy is that !!
The most obvious point to make here is that we should not be realising the potential difficulties so close to the events! Chess Scotland once again is looking like it couldn't run a piss up in a brewery! Is there any chance the director responsible could please get his finger out and start acting strategically. Knock some head together if necessary as this whole thing is debilitating the effect that chess in scotland is supposed to be having on our kids.
Harry, that's wrong on various levels. CS has no control over what SJC does (correct me if I'm wrong guys), so it's neither CS's fault nor SJC's fault if they create events that are essentially the same thing. There needs to be communication between the two, and both have clearly indicated that there is (and will be).

The Director responsible for making the decisions is acting strategically. Just because you don't agree with his plan, doesn't mean that he doesn't have one. Many of us believe he is making the correct decision on this one.

Your last sentence I simply don't get at all? It's nonsense, frankly. Big Grin
harrymarron Wrote:The most obvious point to make here is that we should not be realising the potential difficulties so close to the events! Chess Scotland once again is looking like it couldn't run a piss up in a brewery! Is there any chance the director responsible could please get his finger out and start acting strategically. Knock some head together if necessary as this whole thing is debilitating the effect that chess in scotland is supposed to be having on our kids.

Harry, I believe that's a little unfair. David D. raised a concern that has just recently emerged. SJC are more than happy to work with David in addressing these concerns and have already taken steps to try and adddress them. I will be emailing David later today to advise him of what is being done.

Rather than it having a debiliting effect, I believe it shows that the two organisations are keen to co-operate and to try and maximise the number of tournaments available to kids, and to try and get as many kids playing as possible which is what it's all about.
I have just double checked the calendar & apart from NEJCA running the Girls championships on behalf of Cs there is only one other CS advertised junior event which is the annual Primary Individual which as we all know is invitational & restricted to 30/32highest graded available primary children.

So when CS actually start running some junior events, that will be the time to negotiate with regards to duplications. In the meantime SJC will continue to do what it has been doing the last ten years & provide events in a safe & friendly environment, for ALL juniors to participate in, until they have improved & have the confidence to play in adult congresses.