Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robert Rough RIP - A sad day
It is with deep sadness and regret that I learned today of the passing of Inverness Chess Club stalwart Robert Rough last night.

Robert was very much involved in making last weekend’s 1st Inverness Chess Congress happen and his enthusiasm and love of chess was clearly apparent when I met him in Inverness earlier this year to talk about the event.

Robert was also one of the first people to enter the 1st Prestwick Airport Congress and I know he took part in numerous chess event at home and abroad.

I would like to pass on my condolences to his family and friends at this sad time.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
Very sad news indeed. Robert was the driving force behind NEJCA's Inverness tournament, which proved incredibly popular with local children. His enthusiasm for chess was apparent to all who met him and he was forever looking for new ways to attract juniors to the game. A true gentleman and a huge loss to his family, friends and the wider chess community. RIP Robert, you will be missed.
We all thought Robert was recovering from removal of a liver tumour and a few email exchanges in the past week gave no clue that his health was deteriorating. That made the news of his passing all the more distressing. Robert was very much one of the 'good' guys, a chess fanatic who played in tournaments all over but still would give up his time to encourage others enjoy the game, both young and old. As Arlene says, he was a main player in inaugurating the NEJCA Inverness junior event and he was always the first there at the Chieftain Hotel preparing tables etc before we sluggards arrived. He would also be the last to leave as he checked that we left the place as we found it. Although a supporter of the local juniors he was always ready to welcome and help youngsters from all over and he derived enormous pleasure at seeing entrants from the likes of Lewis, Orkney and Scourie. He wanted others to obtain the same pleasure from chess that he had enjoyed throughout his life. A man quick to smile and who I never heard say a word in anger or criticise others. All in all a true gentleman and someone who will live in our memories forever. His loss will be mourned way beyond the Inverness area.
Back when I started playing chess in 2006, Robert's efforts at promoting chess and encouraging young players in Inverness provided an opportunity for me to start playing in congresses and other competitions, thus introducing me to a hobby that I, with no exaggeration, simply wouldn't have if it wasn't for Robert.

Robert had great optimism about chess in the local area - his enthusiasm and vision brought the NEJCA tournament to Inverness, the success of which undoubtedly led to our first congress just last weekend, an event which every participant would agree was a great addition to the Scottish weekender circuit. Many people, including some of us in Inverness, would have assumed that we were too geographically remote to attract meaningful numbers to the congress, but not Robert. The congress brought great pride to Robert and when I saw him last Friday before the first round he was sad that he couldn't make it to the event we all know he inspired, but we can be sure that his optimism was surely proven to be well-placed following its success.

Robert's efforts in helping and assisting juniors were well known in the local area. I still remember when a six year old Kai Pannwitz joined the club, Robert did everything he could to encourage and nurture a talent which is one of the great future prospects for Scottish chess, thus ensuring that his influence will be felt across the national chess-playing community for a long time to come.

Everyone who knew Robert in Inverness will know what I mean when I say that he was a friend to us all and someone who could put a smile on any player's face. He will be sadly missed by all of us in Inverness and beyond, Rest in Peace Robert