Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lothians congress/Dalguise
Just to let everyone know that Paul MacDonald, Phil Thomas and I will be doing a bit of a tour tomorrow starting off with the Lothians congress till after lunch, then heading up to Perthshire to Dalguise. We obviously want to speak to as many juniors and parents as possible so please feel free to approach us on any junior chess matter. Please come along also, even if your child is not playing if you have any questions. Paul has inherited a wonderful opportunity thanks to some quite exceptional unselfish work by Phil, Jacqui, Andy and many others and we are incredibly excited of the potential of our Scotland squad, particularly in the younger age brackets. Our aim is to build as big a squad as possible at younger ages then move them though the years supporting them in every way we can. Alan and I were delighted with the progress we felt our whole squad made in Bulgaria at the Euroyouths. Please be assured that all of us are totally committed to continue this progress in every way we can.

Robin.
Paul, Robin, Phil et al
Sounds like a very good idea!

I noted Phil's plans with regards to develop an U12 squad, and in some ways Robin appears to echo this approach:-
Quote:Our aim is to build as big a squad as possible at younger ages then move them though the years supporting them in every way we can.

which begs the question what the thoughts are for the J15+ players?
Mike Scott Wrote:which begs the question what the thoughts are for the J15+ players?

I was wondering the same thing to be honest.

Although I was thinking 12 onwards...

I'm sure there are plans in place and resource should be focussed but lets not forget anyone.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Hopefully Dalguise and Lothians can be organised on different weekends next year.

Remember your wellies for Dalguise!
David Deary Wrote:
Mike Scott Wrote:which begs the question what the thoughts are for the J15+ players?

I was wondering the same thing to be honest.

Although I was thinking 12 onwards...

I'm sure there are plans in place and resource should be focussed but lets not forget anyone.

One of the prime objectives of any properly run under 12 squad anywhere in the world should be to teach the youngsters how to develop their own chess based skill set. So before they reach the age of 15 they have less need for youth squad membership.

It is much easier to find chess players significantly stronger than the U12 squad members.

I had a long talk with Paul & Robin last night & I have got a headache this morning so unfortunately will not be present at either venue.
I know that as a young junior that one of the things Jonny enjoyed most was the squad sessions that Donna organized and in particular the fact that the older juniors were also involved: it was inspiring.

I appreciate that one might get more effective training by breaking the juniors into their own groups but having them all meet together from time to time is still a good idea I think.
Mike Scott Wrote:I know that as a young junior that one of the things Jonny enjoyed most was the squad sessions that Donna organized and in particular the fact that the older juniors were also involved: it was inspiring.

I appreciate that one might get more effective training by breaking the juniors into their own groups but having them all meet together from time to time is still a good idea I think.

Yes if they are focused on actually learning in that environment but the report I got back from those sessions were that some of the juniors were only there for the social jolly.

However, if you were to get something organised I am sure you will get good support & at the moment you have a great team of over 18's that would probably be willing to do the coaching. Also which is more important is that you also have a great set of juniors that are serious in improving their game.
One point I did not really make but was in my mind was that I feel that whatever is done for the over J12s is part of an over all plan so that the good juniors that emerge from Phil's U12 squad continue to move through the system rather than be left to fend for themselves. Yes individuals can organise ad hoc training squads but I do think this would be better part of an over all plan. EDIT - not sure if 'ad hoc' is quite the right phrase as it does carry some negative undertones that could be taken as being critical of work done both in the past to put on one off training events. That is not my intention.

To some extent the social side of those squad meetings was not all together a bad thing: it let other young chess players meet others of their kind.

I would be delighted to help if I can but my time is severely limited due to work and my role as Jeremy's taxi driver as he progresses in the world of swimming.

I do appreciate that many others can say the same. :-(
Thanks for eveyone's input. We had a massivelly exciting and supported day today which we enjoyed every minute of. Paul and I have got some interesting and possibly controversial ideas for Scottish chess junior future direction regarding venues, events and team support and selection. Please be clear, all avenues are being explored. Mike, as you know, I am not adverse to trying different events and venues. This is very much in Paul and I's mind. Paul and I don't want to set a rigid tournament agenda. We are looking at all avenues, venues and dates at home and abroad. I don't think it's a secret I am a big fan of the Czech Open for older juniors or the Benidorm International for younger juniors. We have a brilliant group of 16-ish juniors that we feel can tackle international events that cross over into serious adult territory. Are they good enough?- yes. Will we support them?- Yes yes yes. I have stated previously that our long term plan was to build a supported system based on our younger players. I believe this is is the correct route to follow but you can be guaranteed I will be there always to support our oldest selected players.

Robin.
Thanks Robin.
Quote:build a supported system based on our younger players
Do I understand correct that this means that the support structure will be developed through the age groups as these younger players move through the age groups, so that in five or six years times there will be a more complete/integrated system in place?