Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bereavement - David Bond
Peacefully at home with his family on 30 December, David, much loved and loving husband of Chris, and the late Jean, father of Penny, Duncan, Adrian, Paul, Iain and Douglas. He was a much loved Grandpa, who adored his grandchildren, Kirsty, Lewis, Laura, Anna, Lauren and Andrew, and he was a good friend to all his extended family. There will be a service of celebration of David’s life at St Mary’s Church, Dalmahoy, on Saturday 5th January at 2.30 pm to which all friends are warmly invited, bright colours will be welcome.

David was a very well known and popular player around the congresses and a regular participant in the Edinburgh Chess Leagues. Not only was David a very active player, he made a huge contribution as an administrator both at his own Balerno Chess Club and in organising Chess Edinburgh Congresses over many years.

David will be sadly missed by all of us.
Very sad news indeed. My thoughts go out to David's family and friends at this difficult time.
I will always have fond memories of David from when I was first starting out playing in competative chess. He was my first ever opponent in the Edinburgh Allegro League.

Sad news indeed.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Very sorry to here of Davids passing
David was the reason I started playing chess... He put so much time into coaching the primary and high school teams in Balerno.

Genuinely never met a nicer guy and my condolences go out to his family who were everything to him.
I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. David was a real gentleman and will be greatly missed.
Many a time David and I battled over the chessboard, both really eager to better the other. I really enjoyed our games and his kind words of encouragement over the years really helped me gain confidence in chess - both on the board and as a congress organiser.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Glynis