Forums
Candidates - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: Live Games (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Candidates (/thread-1809.html)

Candidates - George Neave - 12-03-2018

Anyone want to discuss some chess on here?

Kramnik's win against Aronian today must be one of the most brilliant games of chess I have ever seen! Creative, aggressive and some very beautiful sacrificial play to wrap it all up. Looks to me like he wants his title back!

RE: Candidates - Alan Bell - 13-03-2018

(12-03-2018, 08:10 PM)George Neave Wrote: Anyone want to discuss some chess on here?

Kramnik's win against Aronian today must be one of the most brilliant games of chess I have ever seen! Creative, aggressive and some very beautiful sacrificial play to wrap it all up. Looks to me like he wants his title back!

Hi George, agreed about the Aronian Kramnik game, certainly so far as games I have watched as they were played. 

I always expect a lot from Kramnik; I always hope for a lot from Aronian. I appreciate that much can yet happen but it does look as though there are only 3 players showing the focus and form to win - Kramnik, Mamedyarov and Caruana.  Until recently I would have dismissed Mamedyarov's chances against Carlsen but this doesn't look like the same player and now I am not so sure.

As someone who has previously subscribed to the official site but will never do so again I am interested to know what people's preferred site is.  I favour Chess 24 though also had the official site open on YouTube yesterday.  Judith Polgar is an excellent commentator but I wont be paying Agon for her services once it is subscription only.

RE: Candidates - George Neave - 13-03-2018

(13-03-2018, 01:51 PM)Alan Bell Wrote:
(12-03-2018, 08:10 PM)George Neave Wrote: Anyone want to discuss some chess on here?

Hi George, agreed about the Aronian Kramnik game, certainly so far as games I have watched as they were played. 

I always expect a lot from Kramnik; I always hope for a lot from Aronian. I appreciate that much can yet happen but it does look as though there are only 3 players showing the focus and form to win - Kramnik, Mamedyarov and Caruana.  Until recently I would have dismissed Mamedyarov's chances against Carlsen but this doesn't look like the same player and now I am not so sure.

As someone who has previously subscribed to the official site but will never do so again I am interested to know what people's preferred site is.  I favour Chess 24 though also had the official site open on YouTube yesterday.  Judith Polgar is an excellent commentator but I wont be paying Agon for her services once it is subscription only.

Also watched live on Chess24. Having subsequently watched the clips on chessbase and, in particular, the after game interview, I see now that this game was largely home prep. Still it seems remarkable to me that 7...Rg8 is so strong! I can't recall last time I saw a novelty so early for Black that may just have put a variation respected at the highest levels out of commission. Of course the execution that followed was flawless and then 24...Bg5 and 26...Qe2 add a nice touch of flair! The whole game reminds of the more aggressive style we saw from Kramnik in his youth. Hopefully there is more to come Smile

RE: Candidates - Alan Bell - 14-03-2018

Kramnik: Monday win beautiful; Wednesday win very, very ugly.  Ladbrokes are no longer offering odds on him.

RE: Candidates - Alan Bell - 14-03-2018

(14-03-2018, 07:32 PM)Alan Bell Wrote: Kramnik: Monday win beautiful; Wednesday win very, very ugly.  Ladbrokes are no longer offering odds on him.

So I went out for an hour...

RE: Candidates - George Neave - 20-03-2018

(14-03-2018, 09:06 PM)Alan Bell Wrote:
(14-03-2018, 07:32 PM)Alan Bell Wrote: Kramnik: Monday win beautiful; Wednesday win very, very ugly.  Ladbrokes are no longer offering odds on him.

So I went out for an hour...

Kramnik now on 1 out of 5 since round 3. I wonder what odds you would have got on that? He appears on a mission destined to fail, avoiding draws at every turn in favour of more risky,  and often losing, lines in a desperate attempt to get wins on the board. Who would have predicted that? You simply couldn't make it up. It's great entertainment though!